Worldwide Antivirus Vendor Market Share
In the worldwide market for antivirus vendors, Microsoft leads with a 26.6% share of devices that use OPSWAT Gears, and Avast follows at around 22%. These two vendors have taken the top two positions in previous reports. Because of their dominance in the antivirus market, few other vendors show a comparatively large market share. AVG, ESET, Symantec, McAfee, Avira, ESET and Kaspersky Lab each have a share in the single digits, while several other vendors (not shown) fall below two percent market share. These results only include devices with real-time protection enabled, indicating that the user’s machine is actively being protected.
Antivirus vendors worldwide - October 2014
Users with real time protection enabled vs. all users
|Devices with real time protection enabled||
In chart above, hover over elements to see individual vendors and percentages.
While the comparison above only includes data from products with real time protection (RTP) enabled, OPSWAT also looked at data for all installed products, including those that are expired or disabled. The two biggest changes seen in this new data come from Microsoft and Malwarebytes, which are the first and third ranked vendors in the new data set. Both of these vendors make products that often have RTP turned off when they are installed on a machine, or in the case of the free version of Malwarebytes, no RTP function at all. The individual products are shown in the next section. Besides these two vendors, all others show a smaller market share when all devices are compared without regard to RTP status.
Worldwide Antivirus Product Market Share
At 20.2%, the leading product detected on devices using OPSWAT Gears is avast! Free Antivirus, followed closely by Microsoft Security Essentials at 16.8%. In past reports, these two products have alternately led the antivirus product market, with avast! Free Antivirus most recently taking the top spot one year ago. Windows Defender occupies the third position at 8.4%. The remaining products all show with single-digit market shares, including AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition, Avira Free Antivirus, Symantec Endpoint Protection, McAfee VirusScan, and others. When combined, products that did not make the top ten in the ranking make up a large share of the market, at 28%. These results only include devices with real-time protection enabled.
In the chart below, hover over elements to see products and percentages. Note: data has been corrected since original release of report.
Antivirus products worldwide - october 2014
Users with real time protection enabled vs. all users
|Devices with real time protection enabled||
In the chart above, hover over elements to see individual products and percentages. Note: data has been corrected since original release of report.
While the comparison above only includes data from products with real time protection (RTP) enabled, OPSWAT also looked at data for all installed products, including those that are expired or disabled. In this set of data, Windows Defender leads the number of occurrences by a wide margin. Primarily used as a supplemental application, Windows Defender comes installed on all Windows 8 and 8.1 machines, and the application turns itself off when a different antivirus product is installed. When RTP is not a factor, the other product that shows a large increase in occurrences is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version), which occupies the third position. RTP is not available in the free version of Malwarebytes, which is an on-demand product that requires a manual start to run a scan.
Antivirus Market Share by Operating System
Antivirus products show a different distribution when their market share is categorized by operating system. One noticeable difference is that Windows Defender leads in market share on devices that use Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. This is no surprise considering that the product is built into these operating systems. However, these results only include devices with real-time protection enabled. Windows Defender automatically turns off real time protection when another antivirus product is in use, indicating that around 30% of devices using Windows 8 or 8.1 have chosen not to install a 3rd-party antivirus product to protect their machines. In the absence of MS Security Essentials, which is not available on this operating system, the top products enabled on Windows 8.1 devices are avast! Free Antivirus, McAfee VirusScan and AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. Windows 8 users showed a similar ranking, including Symantec Endpoint Protection and the third position. Among Windows 7 users, Microsoft Security Essentials was detected on the most devices, followed closely by avast! Free Antivirus. These results only include devices with real-time protection enabled.
Operating System Updates
This report shows comparisons for applications on Windows systems from data collected from users of OPSWAT Gears, a device security and management platform that is free to monitor up to 25 devices, available at opswatgears.com. This technology allows OPSWAT to collect information regarding the applications installed on endpoint computers and certain settings applied to these applications. This report includes only free OPSWAT Gears accounts. This tool is used around the world by home and business users, both by expert and inexperienced users of security software. For the purpose of the report, the sample of about 4500 users is assumed to be representative of the market, based on the wide accessibility of the tool to a large range of users. However, these results are likely to differ from those in the real world (see below for more details). OPSWAT Gears runs continuously in a user’s system as a security tool. This allows for continuous reports over time from each device that is connected, as long as OPSWAT Gears is installed. For this report, the data was collected to show what was on each user’s computer from the most recent data transfer that was sent before the time of collection on October 1, 2014. The most recent data transfer from each device ranges from the dates May 1 to October 1, 2014.
Several attributes inherent to the data collection methods may cause the results in this report to differ from real-world conditions. OPSWAT makes no claims as to the accuracy of the data in the real world market and, when possible, is continuously working to overcome the following potential anomalies:
- On average, OPSWAT Gears users are more likely to have high-functioning security on their computers than would be seen in the market as a whole. OPSWAT Gears allows IT administrators to monitor users who are not security compliant, so the act of gathering OPSWAT’s market share data also serves to remind users to increase their security capabilities.
- Though the sample size is large enough to give reliable data, some cross-comparisons and more detailed comparisons result in lower confidence levels. The sample size will continue to increase in each report since the data is collected from every current user of these products. More data in the future will allow for several new in-depth comparisons that have not been included in past reports.
- These applications are marketed in OPSWAT’s own channels. Users sampled may not be representative of the general population. For example, this report may contain a different distribution of Windows operating systems and device types compared to what exists in the real world. While this report contains more than 27% Windows 8 or 8.1 users, Net Applications reports that around 17.5% of all Windows users currently operate under Windows 8 or 8.1.
- The data includes both home and corporate users. Because of the nature of the products used to collect the data, the data sample may contain a higher percentage of corporate users than what exists in the real world.
- These applications are marketed in OPSWAT’s own channels. Users sampled may not be representative of the general population. For example, this report may contain a different distribution of Windows operating systems and device types compared to what exists in the real world. While this report contains more than 20% Windows 8 users, Net Applications reports that around 10.5% of all Windows users currently operate under Windows 8.
- Although OPSWAT Gears is available for both Windows and Mac, Mac applications are not included in this report, and products that are available on both Mac and Windows would presumably have different market shares in the real world. Market share for Mac users is expected to be added in future reports.
- While OPSWAT Gears is used on devices around the world, its use is not commensurate with worldwide population distribution. Only English-language versions of this tool are available, so countries with higher numbers of English speakers are expected to use these applications at higher rates, as well as countries that have been exposed to more coverage of these tools by press and partners. For example, the Chinese antivirus vendor Qihoo 360 recently reported that it had 440 million users of its internet security products, but it did not make the list of top vendors in this set of data.
Stay tuned for the next market share report in January, which will feature new comparisons and in-depth comparisons of product usage. OPSWAT is working to increase global usage of OPSWAT Gears. Mac application data will also be added in the future.
Vendors of antivirus, P2P, patch management, backup, encryption, and other applications interested in inclusion in these reports, OPSWAT Gears, and OESIS Framework are encouraged to visit opswat.com/certified to learn how to partner with OPSWAT.
OPSWAT is a San Francisco based software company that provides solutions to secure and manage IT infrastructure. Founded in 2002, OPSWAT delivers solutions that provide manageability of endpoints and networks, and that help organizations protect against zero day attacks by using multiple antivirus engine scanning and document sanitization. OPSWAT’s intuitive applications and comprehensive development kits are deployed by SMB, enterprise and OEM customers to more than 100 million endpoints worldwide. To learn more about OPSWAT’s innovative and unique solutions, please visit www.opswat.com.
OPSWAT Products and Services
Metascan technology powers each of OPSWAT’s multi-scanning solutions, enabling IT professionals and software engineers to enhance network security by scanning with up to 30 built-in antivirus engines from market leaders such as ESET, Avira, Bitdefender, AVG and many others. Metascan allows for custom implementations, such as integration with other engines of your choice, and can be used for rapid malware analysis and to implement secure data upload and transfer systems.
For specific multi-scanning needs, OPSWAT also offers Metascan Client, which quickly scans endpoints’ running processes and memory for key loggers, viruses and other malware, and Metadefender, which scans removable media such as USB drives, CDs, DVDs, and memory cards.
A free demo of Metascan technology is available at metascan-online.com.
Company and Reproduction Information
Please contact OPSWAT sales for more information on OPSWAT Gears. For more information about this report, please contact email@example.com. Parties interested in hosting this report are free to do so as long as credit is given to OPSWAT, Inc., and a link is provided to www.opswat.com/about/media/reports.
Disclaimer of Warranty
OPSWAT Inc. makes no representation or warranties, either express or implied by or with respect to anything in this document, and shall not be liable for any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose or for any indirect special or consequential damages.
OPSWAT, OESIS, Metascan, Metadefender, AppRemover and the OPSWAT logo are trademarks and registered trademarks of OPSWAT, INC. All other trademarks, trade names and images mentioned and/or used herein belong to their respective owners. No patent liability is assumed with respect to the use of the information contained herein. While every precaution has been taken in the preparation of this publication, OPSWAT Inc. assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions. This publication and features described herein are subject to change without notice.